FOUR CORNERS MOTORCYCLE TRIP 04
This is a Four Corners Run I did in late Aug of 04. Due to family business,
I only had a week for a trip this year. I went over the Sierra's via the Kit
Carson Pass up 395 to 50 to Fernley, Nv. Then, from there up to Gerlach, by the Burning
Man in the Black Rock Desert (I didn't stop). I rode about 80-90 mi dirt to Winnemucca, then
the 80 to Battle Mountain & down to the 50 over to ELy, Nv (visited a China Lake friend there).
Continued on the 50 into Utah to the 70 (really windy superslab) and then briefly south
to Moab, Ut. Next morning, through more wind & scattered rains to the 4 Coners. From there,
headed back across the Navajo Nations in a wild dust/rain storm. The dirt in that part of the country
was red as was the dust. When I drove by side roads, they caused jets of air to make what looked like
red rivers of dust crossing the roads about a foot or two high. All in all was kind of surreal & lonely as
most of the auto traffic had stopped & were waiting it out at the few little towns along the road.
I finally drove out of at Page and rode over to Hurricane, Utah, late on a football Friday night.
The high school was within earshot of my motel & I could hear the game on the stadium loudspeakers.
Next day, down the 15 to Vegas (visited a Hunter-Liggett friend). Decided to run for home given the
weather, so took the 15 to Bartstow, 58 over the Tehachepi to Bakersfield, and then up the 99 to home
(melting all the way).
Stockton to Four Corners and Back
TOPAZ & LAKE (CAL/NEV BORDER)
* Not completely sure, but I think the following 4 pics are the roads & scenery
on the California Nevada border just out of the Sierras.
* Road scenery on southeast end of the Pyramid Lake,Nv.
BLACK ROCK DESERT
* Middle of Nowhere, Gerlach, Nv & the start of the adventure part of this trip -
90mi dirt road.
* Burning Man Dry Lake Bed & Scenery.
* There really are other people out here!
* Back on the pavement.
* All Four States & the Center Point
GRAND CANYON COUNTRY
* Crossing the Colorado River - Page, Az. Running from a storm.
* Near sundown so the low light really doesn't do this part of Utah
* Rehydrated & relaxing at home shooting up the rest of the roll.
Going digital next year, no more scanning!
Return to Home Page