70s Motocross District 35 (Central California)
EARLY US MX
* Greatly Modified DT-1MX @ Spillway Park Santa Maria, Ca.
* 69 360 CZ High Piper @ Spillway.
* Ched Zhed Cross Up @ Spillway(this is about as radical as I got).
MORE EARLY MX
* 250 AJS Stormer @ Bay Mare (handled great, engine questionable).
* Learning how to jump into sand @ Spillway (OK, crashing in the sand).
* Riding a Husky with the Over the Hill Gang @ Spillway before they broke my hip (yes I'm whining).
* 370 AJS Stormer @ Spillway (My 1st ever win, the guy and the RT-1 kept me honest but I did it).
TRICK 69 CZ
* Highly modified No BS 205lb dripping wet CZ 380 @ Lemoore NAS. Started life as a 360 side-piper. Tracy fiberglass tank, Hand-made downpipe from cones, Magura controls, Ceriani shocks, Boranni rims, 380 moly-coated piston, replaced airbox with KN clamp-on filter & naugahyde tent, Petty fenders. Pumper-carb (instant throttle response was too hard to control, changed to Mikuni VM later). Drilled lightening holes in everything I could think of. It was fast, light, & bullet-proof. Unfortunately it never handled as well as those darn Maicoes. Forks were flexy due to wimpy triple trees & swing arm was too short. It would start swapping ends in the hoops. Still it was pretty trick for its time & way better machine than I was a rider at the time.
DUAL SPORTING IN THE ZONE -AZ (96)
Ever wonder what aging, broken-down motocrossers do when
they get old and fat. Its called Dual Sport riding aka
riding where ever you can on street legal dirt bikes.
* Following a power line towards a dam. Unfortunately, shortly
thereafter the trail ended in a shear ravine. Never did figure out
how to get to that damn dam.
* Four Peaks, northeast of Phoenix before the big fire up there.
* Verde River (I think) east of Phoenix. Notice the bad habit of throwing my gear
over the handle bars. Sometime later I melted my trick Malcom Smith jacket when
I draped it over the handle bars on the other side. I was able to patch it up even if it
is terminally ugly now.
Return to Home Page